I figured that it may be nice to show some of the progress work on my latest illustration.
First the sketch.
Then I put down some values. The phrase was illumination showed the way, so I tried to focus heavily on the light. However, later, I found this hid the children far too much!
My colors. I had limited time, so instead of doing color studies, I did several versions of underpaintings and clicked between the layers until I found something I liked. Then I flattened the image.
I just paint right on top of the image.
Getting closer! The stripes and designs are always the last thing I add.
And now to go to the next assignment.