Anyway, a lot of the story is based off of stories and creations of my over active imagination as a child, and the tales me and my neighbors would spin back and forth with one another. The premise is that in this world we live in are a number of passageways that, if discovered, could take you to another world. Most people can't find them, and even if they did, they wouldn't know what they were looking at or how to open them. In this story, two children and their pet ringtailed cat find themselves trapped in this other world, and what first begins as a journey to find their way home turns into an adventure to find which world they belong to.
It's very vague right now on purpose, so I can allow the art to change the flow of the story as is necessary. I may completely scrap or change what I've come up with now, but for the meanwhile, we can pretend this is how it'll wind up!.
First of all, I did some color thumbs to try and get a feel for the mood of the story. I actually jumped the gun a little too much here, because I should have been focusing more on the little elements. Even so, I think this stage really helped me decide what I wanted to do with the story.
I backtracked from this point, deciding to get more detailed visions of the environment and people. Since my assignment was originally to design a dwelling, I focused on the goblin city the children and their guide need to pass through.
From here I did some mood shots to get a feel of camera angles. As you can see, my initial sketches for these are nothing but chicken scratch. I didn't want to spend too long on any one of these.
I was supposed to select a shot and do a rendered version of such. I took the pan up shot, and re-constructed it to look better using Sketchup and then painting over the image. I have NEVER done this before, so my Sketchup model looked pretty terrible. Regardless, this was a fun learning experience.
The "finished" version. I probably won't upload it anywhere else until I do some touch ups. ... I hope! Supposed to be a pan up view.
... Finally starting to capture the mood I want.... almost.